9 curiosities of cycling in Girona and the Costa Brava:
Cycling in Girona: Girona has become the Eldoraldo of cyclists in Spain
Located in Catalonia, a hundred kilometers from Barcelona, the city of Girona attracts professional runners - and not - from all over the world. The sun, the surrounding countryside and hills are an ideal playground for cycling lovers. A true paradise for cyclists!
Did you know that....?
- In 2009 Girona was the start of the 6th stage of the Tour de France. The winner was the Norwegian Thor Hushovd.
- At 2150 m, Vallter 2000 is the highest uphill climb in Catalonia.
- "The Telegraph" included the road between Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar and Sant Feliu de Guíxols in its 10 best cycling roads in the world: Track de la Costa Brava.
- The hundred-year-old Volta a Catalunya is the most important professional event in Catalonia and is held for a week in March.
- The following have hosted the start or finish of stages in the Vuelta a España:
- Sant Feliu de Guíxols
- Lloret de Mar
- La Vall d'en Bas
- La Molina
- Girona host the prestigious Sea Otter Europe Costa Brava - Girona Bike Show
- Banyoles is designated as the first preferred city of triathlon by the Spanish Triathlon Federation.
- More than 170 runners and trainers reside in the province of Girona and up to three teams of professional cyclists are based in the Girona capital.
- Can Xargay is a holiday home for cyclists located in Banyoles